Well, lucky old me. I scurried off colourful Canal Street, out of the rain and into a decadent boudoir – or my hotel for the night. It was a Thursday and as it was just me I’d booked a standard double room. But oh no, the chap at the reception obviously didn’t think that was good enough for me, so he upgraded me to a Duplex Suite. Fab-u-lous.
Clutching my complimentary glass of champagne, I followed him up in the lift (I had my own special access card, oh yes) and into a little piece of luxury. For me, for one night, there were two bathrooms, three sinks, a dining area, a lounge, and a mezzanine-level bedroom. All very to my taste, too: modern lines, quirky touches with a saucy red and black palette – it was just a shame I was all on my own!
What I loved:
- The location is right in the middle of things on Manchester’s Gay Village (buzzing by night)
- The welcome tray of fruit, shortbread and champagne (oh, gosh, did I eat it all?)
- The lovely selection of drinks and tea and coffee-making stuff (a hot chocolate option always floats my boat)
- My very own rubber ducky for my bath
- An awesome shower (stayed in there so long I felt guilty)
- Full breakfast delivered to my room for no additional charge (if you have a dining area, you have to use it)
- Great restaurant downstairs
- iPod dock to play my tunes (yep, had my own little party)
- DVDs available for no extra charge from reception (and friendly staff to help you choose))
I’ll definitely be back with some girlfriends soon for a party weekend. On a Friday and Saturday night, Velvet makes the most of its noisy location with special ‘Clubbing Packages’ that feature reduced room rates, bottle of fizz and a late check out: awesome.